ACT is delighted to release a new online video: Education, Integration, Inclusion: Key Information for Parents of Children with Special Needs in B.C., presented by Suzanne Jacobsen, Ed.D., BCBA . This is a valuable talk for parents and professionals who want to better understand how to achieve the best outcomes for students across special needs attending a B.C. public school.
Dr. Jacobsen is a registered psychologist, a behavior consultant and a qualified teacher who has extensive experience in the B.C. education system. She provides parent-friendly analysis of the role and responsibility of the school in the life of the student with specific references to the B.C. School Act and Ministry of Education resources. Dr. Jacobsen explains the importance of assessment to measure progress and identify educational goals for the student. Dr. Jacobsen’s positive advice on effective collaboration with the school team is very helpful to families struggling to understand roles and responsibilities. As the school year winds down, this video provides timely guidance on reviewing a student’s Individual Educational Plan (IEP) to prepare for the next school year.
The video is in four parts
- Part 1: Autism in the School System (1 hour 10 minutes)
- Part 2: Autism Ability and Assessments (1 hour 15 minutes)
- Part 3: IEPs and other Documentation (1 hour 13 minutes)
- Part 4: Collaboration and Meetings (59 minutes)
Your video subscription includes links to:
- important resources including the laws and guidelines that Dr. Jacobsen refers to;
- forms to help you prepare for and keep records of meetings;
- glossary of terms;
- sample IEPs;
- an online discussion area where you can connect with other parents.
Comments from the live event:
"really practical advice and examples" (parent)
"lots of useable information in one place - saves a lot of time and is enlightening" (student)
"Great to have the opportunity and insight on how we could do more for our child" (parent)
If you have an active subscription to all Online Videos, this new video is included in your subscription.
- Details about this video
- Download Online Videos handout and registration form
- General questions about ACT Online Videos
- Register online
- Login to AOLC to see the online videos you've subscribed to